If your refrigerator doesn’t have an ice maker built into it, then you may be faced with the hassle of buying bags of ice, or filling up bothersome ice trays. Neither of these are great options for the long-term.So, you’ve decided that a small ice maker is exactly what you’ve been looking for.
Now I will tell you the most important tips for picking a portable ice maker.
- While most portable ice makers are similar in productivity, there will always be some differences between brands and models. The overall production capacity of the ice maker can range from as low as 25 lbs. to 155 lbs. of ice in a 24-hour period. If you know you’ll be using ice frequently, then a machine with a high ice production capacity will be worth considering.
Type Of Ice Maker
- Built-in / Under counter Ice Makers - Built-in ice makers fit under the countertop and can blend in with any kitchen theme or design, while offering a larger ice production and storage capacity.
- Cube Portable Ice Makers- Cube portable ice makers are good for use on kitchen countertops to keep extra ice on hand, whether for everyday use or for special occasions.
- 3 in 1 Water Dispenser with Ice Maker- 3 in 1 water dispenser with Ice Maker machine combined with water dispenser, truly get ices and cold water in the same machine to meet your different drinking needs. With three types, including ice cube, cold water and hot water, you won’t worry you can't enjoy cold drinks/teas/chilling beers/champagne etc in summer.
- Multicolor Ice Maker- Multicolor ice makers have a greater insulation capacity and beautiful appearance.It is a good choice for both home and party.
- For even more tips on buying the perfect type of ice maker for your space, check out our ice maker buying guide.
Type of Ice
Portable ice makers make a variety of ice shapes, and proper maintenance of the unit and the use of filtered water keeps the ice clear and refreshing. This ice has the same taste and consistency as the ice made by a traditional freezer ice maker.
Look for ice makers that produce any and all of these ice shapes:
- Half Cube
Many machines will allow a variety of shapes with different sizes to choose from as well, from small, to medium and large sized pieces. Look for a unit that offers different ice size options. This isn’t a standard feature for most models, but there are quite a few that offer up to three options for sizes.
Auto Self-Cleaning Features
It’s important to use filtered water in a n ice maker for clean water, but also to keep the machine clean. Wipe down the ice bin and water reservoir to keep the inner mechanisms as clean as possible when not in active use. This will prevent any buildup of grime or minerals that could cloud up or soften the ice cubes the machine produces.Auto Self-Cleaning Features can solve this problem very well. All three ice machines from FOOING have this feature.